Thursday, May 16, 2013

Haiti Trip- Part I in Port-de-Paix

It's hard to believe I spent the last eleven days in Haiti. I was on the plane a couple days ago taking off over the same city we had just flown into not so long before. Yet so much had happened that it seemed like forever ago. I cried flying into Haiti, the country that I had prayed about for the last several months, and I cried leaving Haiti, a country whose people have stolen my heart. I realize that I am not the same person going home that had come on this trip. I have seen, experienced, and felt so much in these past two weeks. I want to share these experiences with you (or at least try to put them into words).



As we flew into Haiti I noticed the "tent cities". I could see the damage that hasn't been repaired from the earthquake a few years ago. This is when news became more real for me. I was seeing first hand things I'd previously seen only on tv.


 I instantly felt like I was returning to a place I'd been before. I'm sure it's the same feeling others have felt going to another country.

We had to take a bus from Port-au-Prince to Port-de-Paix, because our previously scheduled flight had been cancelled.


It felt strange to travel those rough, rocky, hole filled "roads" through the towns along the way. We saw families doing their laundry in the river.




We saw people bathing in the only water they had available. We saw men working in the rice fields.
We saw women selling their goods in the street markets. I was able to peek into the lives of these Haitian people. These things weren't strange to them. To them this was everyday life. So, why did it seem strange to me? In their simplicity they find joy. The smiles on the faces of the children reached into my soul. I smiled and waved back. As Elise and I bounced around in the back of the bus, I thought about how much I complain about the simple things- a washing machine not working, a lukewarm shower, the road construction, slow internet, electric bills. I take these things for granted every day. I also realized on this bus trip the true beauty of Haiti- the blue ocean, the mountains, the green "jungles". How many times do I miss the opportunities to look past the "negative" things about Haiti? As we neared the end of the 7 hour trip, I became more tired,sore, and motion sick. God spoke to me that I had a choice. I could dwell on the poor conditions or hum hymns and pray God's blessing on each home we passed. I chose to pray for the people in each community we passed through. I would choose to take the bus ride again if I was given a choice, because I saw Haiti in ways a lot of other people haven't.



The first six days of our trip were spent in Port-de-Paix ("Port of Peace") working with the students/teachers at Sonlight Academy.

I was able to interact with the first and third graders throughout the day. Katie Krabel teaches 1st grade and Susan Hammond teaches 3rd grade.



 What amazed me most was the enthusiasm these children had in the little things of the day- their singing, making a shadow "dance", reading a story, playing a fraction game, or drawing a picture.



In the afternoons we did different activities like going to the market, take a hike through town, or going to the orphanage. Wherever we went a crowd of Haitian children was sure to follow. We stood out! The language barrier was very difficult for me, but I learned a smile, a simple greeting like "Bonswa or Bonjou", or a hug crossed that barrier. To get from one place to another we usually took a "taxi" (a motorcycle) and after my first time I realized these drivers really did know how to navigate the streets safely! Usually people stopped to stare as a line of 15-20 motorcycles with Americans passed.

One hike we took was up the mountain to the home of a coffee grower (one of the elders of the church in La Coupe). On the way we stopped in La Coupe, where they planted a church. A lot of children come to hear Bible stories, sing, and play games. The children surrounded us, wanting to hold our hands and so inquisitive as to who these new Americans were. As I knelt with children surrounding me, I felt God saying this is what He called me to do- love these children. The ones with no shoes and tattered clothes. The ones with big smiles on their faces. They are the ones who want to hear about God- they soak it up. We continued up the mountain to this man's home to try this amazing coffee, but the message we received brought me to tears. Through a translator he shared Isaiah 41:10 and told us to not forget Haiti when we returned home- "that his home is our home". This attitude towards us was seen over and over during our time in Haiti. The Haitians are so welcoming in many ways. This man prayed a prayer of blessing over us. What an experience on the mountain!

Another afternoon we loaded around 16 people into the back of a pickup truck (a tap-tap) to go to a nearby hospital/orphanage. Simple things like crayons, coloring books, and bubbles brought huge smiles to the faces of the children. Currently there are approximately 70 children at this orphanage. I got to hold a baby that I really wanted to bring home with me. She stole my heart. These children just want to be loved. I knew again I was called to Haiti. I couldn't give all these children homes, but I could go spend time with them and brighten their days in little ways. It was so hard to lay that sleeping baby down when it was time to leave, but I knew God was saying I'd be back soon! As we walked through the hospital I thanked God for the medical care I could receive in the United States and for my good health.

By the end of our week in Port-de-Paix, I lost count of all the ways I had been blessed. I came to bless others, but I learned more about God and myself than I ever thought I would. God stretched me by taking me far out of my comfort zone. I had to rely completely on Him for direction, strength, and wisdom. He tested my faith as never before and brought me through stronger. He blessed me with a wonderful, supportive team that brought encouragement in the difficult moments. I cherish every conversation I had with them. God did great things in their lives, too. It was very hard to say goodbye to Susan, Katie, and their classes. However, I knew it wasn't as much saying goodbye, but see you again soon. In God's perfect timing I will be back.

Then it was time to fly back to Port-au-Prince to begin the second half of our trip. This time to the southern coast of Haiti.....


No comments:

Post a Comment